Weight loss is a big issue in our society. So many people are overweight and looking for ways to combat the problem. Some turn to vegetarianism to help with weight control.
Becoming a vegetarian is a lifestyle choice but it needs to be understood before jumping in with both feet. It is not an easy task to get used to eating in a different way. Knowing the pros and cons can help you to look at becoming a vegetarian with the proper perspective.
The main thing that people know about vegetarians is that they don’t eat meat. However, there are different types of vegetarians. Some eat eggs and dairy, others eat seafood and some eat fish along with observing the “no meat” rule. It all depends on your choices.
Vegetarians don’t get their protein from animals. Meat has more saturated fats and is not as good for you as other forms of protein. Using soybeans as your protein source provides less saturated fat and more useful protein. Soybeans are used to make tofu and other meat substitutes. An appealing fact about tofu is that it usually takes the flavor of whatever you are cooking with it.
Foods that vegetarians eat are often lower in calories. When you are trying to lose weight, one way you do that is by lowering your caloric intake. As a vegetarian, many of the higher-fat foods you used to eat are eliminated.
Vegetarians have to pay strict attention to their diet so that they don’t lack any essential nutrients. The protein is the biggest stumbling block. When you ate meat there was no issue as to whether or not you would get your daily intake of protein. Eating any kind of meat guaranteed that your daily protein levels were sufficient.
Vegetarians may tend to eat too many grains as they shy away from meat. Eating too much grain, especially if it is processed white flour, can lead to weight gain. Eating sweets instead of protein increases your sugar intake which is not good at all.
Another issue is the quality of the protein that you are eating on a vegetarian diet. Combining plant protein sources with fresh fruits, vegetables and nuts can raise your protein levels. Protein is a fundamental building block of muscle cells in the body.
Eating out can be a chore. Vegetarians don’t eat meat or meat by-products. In some restaurants, vegetables and other items are often cooked in animal stock such as beef and chicken stock. Before choosing anything from the menu, you’ll have to ask how each dish is prepared.
Becoming a vegetarian is a change in lifestyle and it can help you to get your weight under control. Before you get going, use the information above to begin learning about the particulars of vegetarianism.
Vegan cooking made easy with these handy recipe cards
- 40 recipe cards with easy, healthy and delicious recipes for your daily routine and everyday life
- Professional High-Quality Recipes
- All recipes come with a detailed calorie & macronutrient profile
- Includes ingredient lists and detailed step-by-step cooking instructions (Includes US and UK metric systems)
- quick & easy guide on every card:
Glutenfree, low carb, meal prep, high protein, quick & easy, contains nuts – sort your cards after your personal preferences
Shopping List & Meal Planner
– helps you save even more time
- Includes a weekly meal planner so you can efficiently and effectively follow the recipes
- Contains a weekly shopping list that lets you shop effortlessly for their healthy recipe ingredients
Bonus: card template for your own weekly meal plan and shopping list Simple instructions for the DIY recipe card set to print out yourself
- Core Copper 4-Piece Sheet Set: Self-Cleaning Luxury Bedding (Twin XL) $76.95
- Motorola Moto G9 Plus 128GB/4GB XT2087-1, Factory Unlocked Smartphone, Rose Gold $415.45
- Tuxton Home Kona Porcelain Hands-Free Wine & Appetizer Plate Set $129.99
- SQUEGG™ Smart Squeeze Ball & Grip Strengthener $36.99
- Levi's Mens Ethan Nappa Classic Fashion Sneaker Shoe - 10.5 M Black/White $40.00